Heraklion Town Tour
Heraklion Town / Knossos Palace / Archaeological Museum / Castello del Molo (Koules) About 3-4 hours
- Heraklion: The capital of Crete and one of the Mediterranean region's most fascinating and vibrant cities. It is the fourth largest city in Greece. It is full of places to discover. With the current efforts to open up the wonderful mediaeval city centre, it speaks to us of a past full of history and great events that reflect its strategic geopolitical position at the crossroads of three continents...
- Knossos Palace: The centre of Minoan civilisation and capital of Minoan Crete lay 5km south of Heraklion. Knossos flourished for approximately two thousand years. It had large palace buildings, extensive workshop installations and luxurious rock-cut cave and tholos tombs. As a major centre of trade and the economy, Knossos maintained ties with the majority of cities in the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Archaeological Museum: The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is regarded as one of Europe''s most important museums. The present building was constructed between 1933 and 1937 to plans by P. Karantinos, on the site of the imposing Venetian Franciscan friary destroyed by an earthquake in 1856.
- Castello del Molo (Koules): The fortress dominating the entrance to the Venetian harbour has been variously referred to as the Castello del Molo, the Rocca a Mare and the Koules. It predates the second Venetian fortifications around the city, and was built so as to protect the area enclosed by the mole. The Venetian Castello acquired its final form over the period 1523-1540, in replacement of an older fortress destroyed by earthquakes and other phenomena.The fortress is first attested in the early 13th century the earliest depiction we have is that by the Florentine monk Cristoforo Buondelmonti in 1429. The devastating force of the sea was such that the walls and foundations were in constant need of repair.
NOTES:- The tours can be organized and planned according to your wishes and requests.
- In tours not include entrance tickets or tour guide.